Biography of Acharya Hazari Prasad Dwivedi
Acharya Hazari Prasad Dwivedi was born at 19th August 1907 and died at 19th May 1979. He was born in the traditional family of the village (Dubey-ka-Chhapra) in the Ballia district of the Uttar Pradesh state. His father was a Sanskrit Scholar named Pandit Anamol Dwivedi. His early education was completed at the school of the village.
In order to qualify his Acharya degree in the astrology as well as Shastri dregree in the Sanskrit, he had studied Jyotisha and Sanskrit at a traditional school. He had written a variety of novels, numerous essays had done many historical researches on the medieval spiritual movements of the India particularly the Kabir and Natha Sampradaya.
Acharya Hazari Prasad Dwivedi was the great Hindi novelist, famous literary historian, legendary essayist, researcher, excellent writer, scholar, critic of the Adhunik Kal as well as the master in many other languages (such as the Sanskrit, Gujarati, Pali, Bengali, Punjabi, Apabhramsa and Prakrit) alongside of Hindi. He had played a great role in the evolution of the Sahitya sastra and considered as a famous reviewer on the textual custom of the Indian writing. He was intended as the immense bridge maker between the past and the present. He was greatly influenced by the Namvar Singh, Shivprasad Singh and Vishwanath Tripathi. And his influences are Kabir and Rabindranath Tagore.
He got his passion for the astrology and love for Sanskrit from his generation. He got his early education in the Sanskrit language. He has completed his Intermediate degree and Acharya examinations in the Astrology in the year 1930 from the Banaras Hindu University. From 1940 to 1950 he held the office of the Director of Hindi Bhavan in Visvabharati. His close association with Rabindranath Tagore, Kshitimohan Sen, Vidhusekhar Bhattacharya and Banarasidas Chaturvedi served as a stimulus to his literary activity.
He was one of the most prominent personality and significant literary figures of the post-Acharya Shukla period. He had provided his major efforts in order to analyze the Hindi literature in many languages such as the Sanskrit, Pali, Prakrit. He was a man of encyclopedic mind and has the extraordinary writing, reading capability. All his great collections are based on religion, philosophy, linguistics, history, and science in general. He has written a variety of journals, thesis, reports and commemorative for a range of topics.
He has written his many books on Hinduism, Tantrism, Jainism, Gandhian study, Marxism Saivism, Vaishnavism, Buddhism and Sikhism. His great collections are known as Hazari Prasad Dwivedi Collection (also known as HPD collection) is kept at IGNCA (Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts, New Delhi) which are available to the scholars for the reference purposes. His collections which are kept safely at IGNCA were donated by his children to the Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts.
He has started his career on 18th November of 1930 as a Hindi lecturer at the Santiniketan. He was promoted to the Director of Hindi Bhavan office in Vishvabharati in the year 1940. He met with the Rabindranath Tagore during his office at Shantiniketan. He had left the Shantiniketan in the year 1950 and joined the BHU as a Professor and Head of the Hindi Department. During this, he also selected as a Member in 1955 for the first Official Language Commission set up by the Indian Government. Again he had joined the Panjab University, Chandigarh in the year 1960. He was selected as a Professor and Head of the Hindi Department in the Panjab University.
Books of Hazari Prasad Dwivedi
- Padarth Sastra
- Tattva Mimamsa
- Patra kala
- Samachar Sampadan
- Samachar Samkalan aur lekhan
- Sodha pravidh
- Mritunjay Ravindra
- Mahapurushon Ka Smaran
- Sankshipt Prithviraj Raso
- Sandesh Rasak
- Anusandhan evam sarveksan ki pravidhiyam
- Vaigyanik Darshan ka udaya
- Maithili sriramacarita-manasa
- Republic of Plato
- Vedant Siddhant mat martand
- Brahmasutra bhasya
- Kashmiri-ramavtara carita
- Hazari Prasad Dwivedi Granthavali
- Meghdoot : Ek Purani Kahani
- Prachin Bharat Ke Klatmak Vinod
- Sahaj Sadhna
- Sandesh Rasak
- Sikkh Guruon Ka Punysmaran
- Vichar Prawah
- Nath Sidhhon Ki Rachnaye
- Meghdut Ek Purani Kahani
- Rajani Din Nitya Chala Hi Kiya
- Swatantrata Sangharsh Ka Etihas
- Bhasha Sahitya Aur Desh
- Natya Shastra Ki Bhartiya Parampara Aur Dashroopak
- Hindi Bhasha Ka Vrihat Eitihasik Vyakaran
Stories of Hazari Prasad Dwivedi
- Aam Fir Baura Gaye
- Shirish Ke Phool
- Bhagwan Mahakal Ka Kunthnritya
- Mahatma Ke Mahaprayan Ke Bad
- Thakur Ji Ki Vatoor
- Sanskritiyon Ka Sangam
- Samalochak Ki Dak
- Mahilaon Ki Likhi Kahaniyan
- Brahmand ka Vistar
- Vah Chala Gaya
- Sahityic Sansthayen Kya Kar sakati hai
- Ham Kya karen
- Dharmtya Tatvam Nihitam Guhyam
- Manushya Ki Sarvottam Kriti:Sahitya
- Antrik Shuchhita Bhi Avashyak Hai
- Samasyaon Ka Sabse Bada Hal
- Sahitya Ka Naya Kadam
- Aadikal ke Anterprantiya sahitya Etihasik Mahatva
Other Great Works
His contribution was great towards creative and critical writings. Some of his important works are Sahitya ki Bhumika and Hindi Sahitya ka Adikala. Both of his writings provide a new way to the criticism history in the Hindi literature. Some of the following books are related to the historical analysis of the medieval spiritual life of the India:
- Natha Sampradaya
- Madhyakalin Dharma Sadhana
- Hindi Sahitya Ki Bhumika
His book ‘Kabir’ is considered as a masterwork based on the Saint Kabir’s thought, works as well as teachings.
Some of his Historical Novels are:
- Charu Chandra Lekha
- Banbhatta Ki Atmakatha (Ajild)
- Banbhatta Ki Atmakatha (Sajild)
- Anamdas Ka Potha
Some of his great and outstanding essays are:
- Ashok ke phool
- Nakhoon Kyon Barhte Hain
- Vichar Pravah
- Vichar Aur Vitark
- Alok Parva
Some of his Hindi translations are:
- Puratan Prabandha Sangraha
- Prabandha Chintamani
- Lal Kaner
- Vishva Parichay
Some of his great history writings are:
- Kalidas ki Lalitya Yojna
- Hindi Sahitya: Udbhav aur Vikas
- Hindi Sahitya ka Adikaal
- Adhunik Hindi Sahitya Par Vichar
- Sahitya ka Marm
- Lalitya Memansa
- Madhyakalin Bodh Ka Swarup
Awards and accomplishments:
- Acharya Hazari Prasad Dwivedi was awarded for his great contribution in to the Hindi literature by the Padma Bhushan in the year 1957.
- He also got the Sahitya Akademi Award in the year 1973 for his set of essays known as Alok Parva.
- He was honored by the post of Professor as well as Head of the Hindi Department by the Punjab University, Chandigarh.
- He has worked at Banaras Hindu University as its Rector.
- He also chaired the U.P. Hindi Academy in Lucknow.
- 1907: He was born on 19th August.
- 1930: He was appointed as the Hindi teacher at Santiniketan.
- 1950: End of his term in Santiniketan and became Head of Hindi department at BHU.
- 1960: End of his term in BHU and joined the Panjab University, Chandigarh
- 1957: He was awarded the Padma Bhushan.
- 1973: He won the Sahitya Akademi Award.
- 1979: He died on 19th May.
Pandit Madan Mohan Malaviya
Acharya Pandit Ramchandra Shukla
Lal Bahadur Shastri
I am an Entrepreneur, a responsible mother of two, a good housewife and a hard working woman. I totally believe in hard work as where I am just because of that. It’s my great passion to be busy in my all time. I respect a person who is disciplined and respect others.
आचार्य हजारीप्रसाद द्विवेदी उन विरल रचनाकारों में हैं जिनकी कृतियाँ उनके जीवन–काल में ही क्लासिक बन जाती हैं । अपनी जन्मजात प्रतिभा के साथ उन्होंने शास्त्रों का अनुशीलन और जीवन को सम्पूर्ण भाव से जीने की सा/ाना करके वह पारदर्शी दृष्टि प्राप्त की थी, जो किसी कथा को आर्ष–वाणी की प्रतिष्ठा देने में समर्थ होती है । जिस मनीषी ने हजारों साल से कायरता का पाठ दोहराती हुई जाति को ललकारकर कहा था % ‘‘सत्य के लिए किसी से भी न डरना, गुरु से भी नहीं, मंत्र से भी नहीं, लोक से भी नहीं, वेद से भी नहीं ।’’ वह कोई सामान्य कथाकार नहीं है । ऐसा उद्घोष कोई आर्षवक्ता ही कर सकता है । ग्रन्थावली के इस पहले खंड में द्विवेदीजी के दो उपन्यास बाणभट्ट की आत्मकथा और चारु चन्द्रलेख प्रस्तुत हैं । बाणभट्ट की आत्मकथा का कथानायक कोरा भावुक कवि नहीं, वरन् कर्मनिरत और संघर्षशील जीवन–योद्धा है । उसके लिए ‘शरीर केवल भार नहीं, मिट्टी का ढेला नहीं’, बल्कि उससे बड़ा है और उसके मन में ‘आर्यावर्त के उद्धार का निमित्त बनने’ की तीव्र बेचैनी है । चारु चन्द्रलेख में बारहवीं–तेरहवीं शताब्दी के उस काल का सर्जनात्मक पुनर्निर्माण करने का प्रयत्न है, जब सारा देश आन्तरिक कलह से जर्जर और तांत्रिक साधना के मोह में पथभ्रष्ट होकर समस्याओं का समा/ाान पारे और अभ्रक के खरल–संयोगों में खोज रहा था । द्विवेदीजी ने इसके विरुद्ध ज्ञान, इच्छा एवं क्रिया के त्रिकोणात्मक सामंजस्य तथा जनसा/ाारण की हिस्सेदारी पर बल दिया है, और उनकी इस स्थापना में अनायास ही आ/ाुनिक युग मुखर हो उठता है ।